Sunday, April 18, 2010

Meatless Mondays?

The city of San Francisco has passed a measure to persuade its citizens to forego eating meat once a week! The Board of Supervisors claims that one less meat meal per week will help people develop healthier eating habits and a more eco-conscious lifestyle. Say it ain't so!

Here's the thing: I love meat. Obviously, I respect vegetarians for their decision not to eat meat, whether it's a health reason or because they love animals too much. However, I don't think it's right to push one's dietary restrictions onto another person. I have lived in a vegetarian co-op, and the majority of my friends are vegetarian. I have learned to cook savory meatless meals that still pack protein. But that's not my full time choice, and I don't think a city agency should foist its beliefs onto everyone.

The measure encourages "all restaurants, grocery stores and schools to offer a greater variety of plant-based options to improve the health of San Francisco residents and visitors and to increase the awareness of the impact a green diet would be on our planet." That's all fine and dandy, but what about people who are just fine chowing down on their bacon cheeseburgers? I consider myself a highly environmentally sensitive individual (I recycle, compost, shop at used clothing stores, etc.) but cutting out meat from my diet is one step I think is taking it too far. If I enjoy eating something, I shouldn't have to give it up because self-righteous vegetarians think their lifestyle is more environmentally friendly than mine.

Here's to being open minded about food, and looking at other ways to incorporate food sustainability that don't necessarily involve eliminating the most delicious source of protein: meat.

Corned Beef

Hey, it's part of my Jewish heritage to eat corned beef sandwiches!

p.s. Here's one food item I'm fine with outlawing: rare coffee beans found in animal dung...

1 comment:

  1. That corned beef is ridiculous. I need to get back to Saul's ASAP.

    ReplyDelete